Hey everyone! Hope you are all enjoying your weekend! Once again the weather is pretty shit in Vancouver so I haven’t left the apartment yet today! The weather seems to be clearing up so I may get outside for a quick run! My chirpractor gave the me thumbs up on starting to run outdoors again.. 3 min run, 1 in walk for a max of like 20 minutes.. kinda sucks but I have to start somewhere!
I had such an awesome response from my last post so I thought Id nerd out a bit and send you my Travel Checklist! Again I know its kind of lame but its the best way to ensure you don’t forget anything important and also stops you from bringing a bunch of shit you don’t need.
Whether you rarely travel or you are a seasoned globetrotter it’s always helpful to have a checklist!
- Decide what kind of luggage you are going to use. This is important because whether you check your luggage or carry it on will make a huge difference in terms of what you can pack. If you are going to check your luggage it does allow you the freedom to pack a little morebut that’s not necessary a good thing! Sometimes the bigger the bag the more shit you bring.. Also most airlines these days do charge you for checked luggage so if you are on a budget it may be best to pack light and just carry it on..
- Once you have decided on your “main luggage” you can start to make a list of what you want/need to pack. Here is my list for Mexico!
- Clothing List
- Basic tanks/t-shirts
- Cover up for the beach
- Bikini & One Piece (I usually pack quite a few, I like options)
- Shoes (Be practical) – flip-flops, nice sandals, converse, wedge heels, runners
- 1 pair of jeans (boyfriend cut)
- Denim Jacket
- Socks (if needed)
- Work out clothes (if you plan on working out.. be realistic)
- Jewellary (leave anything super valuable at home)
- Toothbrush, floss, toothpaste, mouthwash, Invisalign retainer
- Hair Brush, scrunchies, bobby pins, elastic bands
- Shampoo/ Conditioner
- Face wipes, cleanser, toner, moisturizer
- Makeup & Makeup brushes
- Body Lotion
- Lip Balm
- Any medication, personal hygiene products
- Body Wash
- Travel Health
- Advil, Tylenol
- Pepto, gravol
- Vitamins & Supplements
- Sunscreen (toxic free)
- Bug Spray(toxic free)
- Gaba (anti anxiety)
- Prepare your Carry-on bag. If you are checking your main luggage here is where you can decide what you would like to bring in your carry. I would suggest packing a few extra personal items in case your checked luggage gets lost.. Also pack your laptop, camera, or anything with value in your carry on. I usually a make sure I have headphones and my phone charger on me as well.
- Important travel documents, cash, and credit cards.
- Passport/visa (make a copy) – Make sure your travel documents are valid!
- Personal ID Card (if you look young like me (LOL) you could get ID when out.. dont carry your passport around)
- Cash & Credit Card – Make sure you call your CC company to let them know you are leaving the country!
- Purchase MEDICAL INSURANCE! – This is an important one.. Give yourself peace of mind…
- Edocs, hotel & flights confirmations, etc…
- Prepare your home. If you are going to be away for more than a few days its always good to think about these things.
- Turn off heater
- Unplug appliances
- Advise a trusted neighbour
- Advise your landlord if you are a tenant
- Leave a key with a family member or trusted neighbour
- Last but not least my Flamingo floatie and new bluetooth speak from @WestJet Vacations!
So there you have it. I’m sure you can add a few more things to this list but this pretty much will have you covered! If I forgot anything important.. comment below!
She said Hola, ¿Cómo estás?! In just 18 days this is what I will be saying the second I touch town in Vallarta! I have been posting about this vaca for a few weeks now so as you can probably guess I am a lil bit excited! I haven’t been on a “real” vacation in two years! YES TWO YEARS!! I have gone on a few weekend getaways to Whistler or added couple of days on to a work trip but I am finally going away for more than a few days.. I will be in Vallarta for 10 days and will be out of the office for 14! (SOOO EXCITED!!!)
Up until a few years ago I was one of those people who would legit pack the night before a trip. I always ended up bringing shit I didn’t need and forgetting the shit I did need.. So now I like to “adult” and try to prep myself well in advance.. I figured since I am getting myself prepared I would share it with all of you for your next vaca!
- Online shop in advance! After my last post I think you know I have already got this one covered. Don’t wait until the last-minute to buy the things you want or need! Make sure you give yourself enough time for delivery, trying on and returning if need be..
- Plan your outfits! There is nothing worse than bringing a whole bunch of different clothes and then when you go to put an outfit together nothing works.. Try to plan at least one outfit per night with a few back ups just in case something doesn’t work. I also suggest bringing items you can style differently and wear more than once if necessary.. Planning your outfits also ensures you don’t over pack!
- Make a list. I know this seems kind of lame.. but nothing feels quite as good as checking an item of a list right?? Also it ensures that you don’t forget anything important.. like your PASSPORT!
- Always bring extras in your carry-on! I learned this lesson the hard way! I’ll never forget arriving in Vallarta on NYE.. waiting for my bag to come out and nothing.. I was without luggage for 3 days! Yes, you can always go shop (and i love to shop) but depending on where you are travelling selections of stores may be slim.. I always suggest packing an extra pair of panties, a bikini, toothbrush, and an extra set of clothes…
- Feel good about not being in the office. I know this one seems a little strange but the worst thing you can do is not get something done at work and then stress the entire time you are away.. I am the worst at disconnecting.. I always check my work emails in case I forgot something.. but this time I have done as much preparing as possible so I can leave for two weeks and actually get a much-needed time out. Also if you do forget something don’t sweat it.. unless you are a Doctor.. no one will die..
So there are my top 5 things I do to prep for vacation.. what do you do? Am I forgetting anything?? would love to hear from you!
Warning: This one is for the ladies..
Ok, I don’t know about you ladies but I can not stand the “C” word.. How many of you can agree that CELLULITE is the absolute worst?!!!
I remember having a couple little dimples in my butt and thinking well this kinda sucks.. but apparently last year it got worse! A few weeks ago I decided to take a picture of my back side to track my weight loss and when I saw it I almost died! WTF! When and how did I get Cellulite?? I know I’m not in the best shape of my life.. BUT come on!
Anyways.. now I’m pretty much obsessed with my ass.. Daily you can find me applying coconut oil, coffee scrubs, bio oil, cellulite cream, and I dry brush like twice a day! I’m also back to exercising regularly, I stand at my desk all day and I take collagen every day in my coffee!! Do I just have to wait it out? I feel like it just appeared over night so Im kinda hoping it goes away over night too. LOL
I figure someone reading this must have the secret remedy.. PLEASE HELP ME!!
Anyways, gotta go.. it’s time to dry brush and watch the bachelor..
xoxo – jos
Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Once again it’s raining in Vancouver but with three weeks till my vaca I’m just trying to suck it up.
As you guys know I have been eating Keto for the last few weeks. I have lost 5 lbs and 1 inch off my hips.. Not amazing results but not terrible either. One of the reasons I started to eat this way was A. I wanted to lose the 10-15lbs I gained last year and B. because there seemed to be a lot of options when it came to what I can eat! I LOVE CHEESE so any diet I can eat cheese is A-OK with me..
However, yesterday morning I came across this scientific study about the Keto diet.. It went through all the pros and then of course all the cons.. And there were 2 cons that really stuck out to me.. First one being how harmful it is for your body to go in and out of ketosis and the other being that the keto diet lowers your leptin levels.. and your leptin hormone is what regulates body weight..
So, after learning this information I came to the decision that yes, even though I wanted to drop this extra fluff real fast, this was not the way for me to do it.. Anyone that knows me knows that I am all about living a balanced lifestyle.. and living a balanced lifestyle would mean that I would be going in and out of ketosis and potentionally harming my body. So, it looks like I’m just gonna have to lose this fluff the good ol fashion way by eating well (as much as possible) and working my ass off! Now just because this isn’t the right way for me to eat that doesn’t mean it isn’t right for others.. I totally support this lifestyle, its just not the lifestyle for me..
If there was one good thing that has come out of this.. besides losing 5lbs real quick.. it was that I realized that I most definitely have a sensitivity to wheat and/or yeast. So I’m going to do my best to keep those two things out of my diet!
Anyways that is all for me! I’m going to go make some zoodles to enjoy with my Mama’s sauce! Hope you all have a fantastic evening and an awesome Monday tomorrow!
Laying in bed on this rainy Saturday and the last thing I want to do is get my ass to the gym! I will go.. just not yet.. Since I am being a tad lazy I thought now would be a great time to write a quick update on how I have been doing with this whole eating Keto.
I have to say it has actually been pretty easy. The first week was easier because I was at home and had all the time in the world.. This week was a bit of a challenge with being at work.. Meal planning is a must! Work is also a challenge because there is fucking candy and chocolates everywhere! I actually got to work on Monday and there was a delivery waiting for me.. I opened it up and it was a big tin of popcorn and a bunch of other yummy treats! I died a little inside every time I watched one of my coworkers enjoy my treats! I did have a few moments of weakness.. I ate 2 gummy bears and a piece of chocolate but considering I am the sugar monster that wasn’t so bad!
In my first 5 days I lost 3 pounds but the scale has not moved at all in the last 5 days! Its making me a bit frustrated but I’m not going to give up. I feel good.. my stomach hasn’t been bothering me and Im not bloated! Im pretty confident that I will lose those last 7 pounds before my trip and if not oh well.. I feel pretty good and that’s what matters most…
Anyways that’s my update for the week. I need to drink this delicious bulletproof coffee and get my ass to the gym! I’ll be sure to write another update again next week. In the meantime.. check out some of the meals I have been making! So much YUM!
Hope you enjoy….
xoxo – jos
For as long as I can remember I have been drinking Green Smoothies.. so when I started researching the Keto diet I was surprised to not see a single green smoothie on the meal plan. However, there was a Chocolate smoothie.. and well this made me pretty happy because I love chocolate! Anyways here is the recipe.. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup vega chocolate protein powder
- 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup water + few ice cubes
Instructions: Add chia seeds, coconut milk, water, and ice to the blender. Add the coconut oil and vega chocolate protein powder. Pulse until smooth and serve immediately!
Coconut oil will boost fat burn and work great in this recipe. Make sure you blend the coconut oil well or it will solidify!
So today is my first full day of attempting to eat Keto.. So far so good. This morning I made the most delish frittata and it had BACON on it! Super easy and took about 45 minutes. I’m thinking next week ill make them in a muffin tin instead!
Hope you enjoy!
EASY KETO FRITTATA
- 6 large eggs
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup full-fat whipping cream
- 1/4 cup fresh soft goat cheese
- 4 strips of bacon, organic
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- freshly ground black pepper + salt to taste
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- First, preheat the oven to 400 F / 200 C. Wash and deseed the bell pepper and slice it in small stripes. Chop the spinach.
- Grease baking dish with a tablespoon of coconut pol and add all the ingredients from step 1. Season with salt and cook briefly for about 5 minutes to release the fragrance and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, and cream. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Crumble the soft goat cheese equally all over the vegetables and pour the egg mixture over it. Place it in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Carefully take the dish from the oven and reduce the temperature to about 350 F / 175 C. Lay the bacon all over the frittata and place back in the oven for an additional 15-20 minutes.
Hey guys! Happy New Year!
Hope everyone had an awesome New Years Eve! I most definitely did and suffered big time yesterday! I decided to end the year BIG because I knew I was about to embark on a new self-care journey, so I totally went a little harder than normal!
Anyways, YES I have decided that for the next lil while I am going to focus on getting healthy! Now before you roll your eyes and think “yeah ok jos, you’re not going to drink wine??” Let me explain.. I’m not saying I won’t have a glass of wine or eat a piece of pizza but I’m really going to make a conscious effort to watch what I eat and drink.
You see, last year I legit gained 10 lbs! 10lbs on my frame is like 20 lbs.. There are a few reasons for this weight gain such as I no longer walk to and from work everyday and haven’t been running as much due to my knees.. but the reality is the most real reason is that I went rogue last year.. Like I said in my last post, I was totally lost and stopped doing a lot of the things I love! So with that being said I am on a mission to get myself feeling good again by doing all the things I love like working out and cooking healthy meals!
Starting tomorrow (after the hockey game tonight) I’m going to be doing a 5 day cleanse.. No sugar, No carbs and No booze! Then from there I’m going to just see how it goes but like I said Im totally going to be cautious of what I’m eating/drinking.. you know, instead of having a glass or two of wine at night while watching TV.. I’m going to have a cup of tea.. or instead of eating a bag of nacho chips.. ill snack on some nuts or celery. LOL
Anyways, I’m definitely going to be writing about how it’s all going.. so please give me a follow.. I’ll post some of the awesome recipes I find and also fill you in on how my work outs are going… About to go to the gym for the first time in weeks! Wish me luck! LOL
PS. if you’re one of my friends or family members please do NOT invite me to do anything that includes carbs or booze for the next 6 weeks.. My ass thanks you in advance! haha.
WOAH, what a year! As I sit here, sipping my coffee, I cant help but smile and laugh to myself at the same time. 2017 has been a pretty interesting year for me.. I like to think of it as a transition year..
I started the year off with the intent of doing my very own Happiness Project. Each month I would set a goal/resolution/intention and then “tackle” that goal or whatever you want to call it. After 2 or 3 months I quit! It wasn’t making me feel happy at all, if anything I was kind of miserable and felt like I was putting all this pressure on myself to be happy.
So, I quit my happiness project and then shit went a little sideways… Because I failed at being happy I started to think about my life, how I wasn’t where I “should” be and then started to question every aspect of my life.. Just to give you an example (1 out of about 1000 lol).. I decided that I should buy a condo in the burbs.. I started looking at condos, then just as quikly I talked myself out of it because it was like what if I hate the burbs.. So then I found a place to rent but the second I signed the lease I started to second guess if it was the right decision.. this is literally how I spent the next 4 months!
If I had to choose 1 word to describe those 4 months it would be LOST.. I was totally lost and didn’t know what I wanted.
I am the first one to admit that my mind is my biggest enemy and I knew that I had to do something because I was on a path of self-destruction.. So in September I made the decision to smarten the FUCK up and take control of my mind. I read “The Universe has your back” and started to have all of these “ahhh” moments. Everything in the book is common sense.. however for me it was not common practise.. Reading the book made me aware of my actions and now because I am aware I can stop myself before I act or react to certain situations. It doesn’t always work but hey at least I am trying!
So, for the past four months that is what it has been all about.. Learning to control my thoughts and actions. At the end of the day the only thing we can control is ourselves..
Going into 2018 I don’t have a BIG list of resolutions or goals.. my one intention for the year and for the rest of my years is to get out of my comfort zone.. and for me that means to let go of all that pressure I put on myself, to LET IT BE and to Trust that the Universe has my back…
May your 2018 be filled with everything your heart desires..
xo – josiphine